28 Jan Job Opportunity – 2nd Line Support/Project Engineer
The role is for a full time (9:00 – 5:30, Monday to Friday) second line (on-site) support/project engineer.
We are a growing IT Support company based in Borehamwood that services and supports SME’s and SMB’s.
The role will require you to work both at our offices on the helpdesk but primarily on-site at clients. It is therefore imperative that you are smart, polite and have impeccably strong communication and customer facing skills.
You will be working alongside our existing technical teams dealing both with direct calls and enquiries from clients, escalated and delegated requests from within the team, as well as assisting with IT project work and project tasks.
- Giving timely support to clients as and when they call in as well as face-to-face on-site
- Responding to requests from your team leader, management team, as well as escalated requests from junior team members
- Perform regular maintenance and resolutions as part of general housekeeping, reporting back to your line managers
- Perform regular and requested preventative maintenance and to flag up and notify your line manager of recurring issues.
- Visit client sites to provide break/fix or planned maintenance or project work at a desktop and server level as well as network(WAN and LAN and WLAN) configuration
- Patch Management
- Backup monitoring and management (Acronis/Veeam/Online Backup)
- Full ownership of 2nd line support tickets (remote and on-site tickets) assigned to you from the helpdesk, reporting back to your line managers, sharing knowledge and ticket handover to team members and updating clients when appropriate
- Troubleshooting, repairing and upgrading of workstation and server hardware in house and on site
- Setting up and configuring of wired and wireless networks
- Setup, configuration and preparation of new clients (Domains and Workgroup)
- Assisting the Project Team with IT project work and project tasks both at our offices and at client sites
- Occasionally out-of-hours work and on-call support will be required
- On-site work will take up approximately 60-70% of the week, the remaining 30-40% will be working at our offices
- Expert and lots of experience of Microsoft Small Business Server 2003 upwards
- Experience of regular maintenance and monitoring of servers and workstations
- Experience of Domain support including Active Directory
- Experience of configuring and troubleshooting MS Exchange Server and POP3 Mail
- Exposure to Terminal Server
- Exposure to Virtual Machines and Virtual Hosts
- Exposure to Server Migrations and upgrades
- Exposure to Enterprise Wi-Fi
- Exposure to Hosted Email exchange platforms and migrations
- Exposure to Cloud Platforms such as Dropbox and Microsoft Azure
- Expert on troubleshooting upgrading and repairing desktops
- Comfortable and proven experience of working on site in front of clients.
- Strong Networking Experience of TCP/IP networks, routers, switches, firewalls wired and wireless, routing, port redirection
- Experience with LAN/WAN/VLAN/WLAN/VPN setups and troubleshooting
- Experience of server based backups, local, online and replication
- Experience of server based antivirus
You will have been working for a number of years at 1st or 2nd line level already and will be proficient with dealing with user issues both remotely and on site, as well as assisting with the successful completion of IT project work. You will enjoy dealing with clients, working within a team, highly communicative as well as having a desire to fix problems as quickly as possible.
You will have strong exposure to Microsoft Small Business Server (all versions) and working with businesses of between 5 – 250 seats.
You will have had exposure to Microsoft Server Technologies and networking protocols.
This role is not for candidates that wish to move into management but who wish to further their technical career and know-how through training and experience. We will support this decision through internal and external training as well as shadowing and mentoring.
Whilst a degree and/or professional qualifications are preferable we are strong believers that experience carries just as much weight.
Pay and Travel
The ideal candidate will be based in or around North/North West London or Hertfordshire.
You must have a full driver’s license and car as travel on-site will be required by car or train (we pay travel expenses)
There are parking spaces on site and the office is reachable by Borehamwood & Elstree Railway Station or by Bus.
Salary starting at £26-30k but will be based on experience.
About the business
We are an expanding IT business based in Borehamwood, Hertfordshire. We support small to medium sized businesses in with IT Support in Central London ranging from 5 users to 250 users. We offer the full spectrum of support from desktop and application support through to server and hosted server support. We help clients with large and small Server and Cloud migrations as well as other IT Projects/Consultancy work.
Please email your CV with a covering letter to: [email protected]